Our experts discuss their own personal struggles with injuries sustained in the operating room due to poor ergonomics. Learn tips for how to prevent neck and back pain as a busy surgeon.
- How ergonomics affects surgeons’ careers
- How to address injuries and change your practice to avoid injuries
- Advice for medical students on surgical rotations
- Good ergonomics habits to develop as residents
- Advice for headlight and loupe use
- Microscope positioning
- Footware recommendations
- Benefit of taking breaks during cases
- Importance of stretching
Kokosis G, Dellon LA, Lidsky ME, Hollenbeck ST, Lee BT, Coon D. Prevalence of Musculoskeletal Symptoms and Ergonomics Among Plastic Surgery Residents: Results of a National Survey and Analysis of Contributing Factors. Ann Plast Surg. 2020;85(3):310-5. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000002147.
Sergesketter AR, Lubkin DT, Shammas RL, Krucoff KB, Peskoe SB, Risoli T, Jr., et al. The Impact of Ergonomics on Recruitment to Surgical Fields: A Multi-Institutional Survey Study. J Surg Res. 2019;236:238-46. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2018.11.035.